To support the reform of mental health services in the Republic of Moldova, The Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) has mandated the Trimbos Institute, the Netherlands Institute for Mental Health and Addiction in partnership with Luzerner Psychiatrie, Romanian League for Mental Health, and Netherlands Institute for Health Services Research (NIVEL) to implement the project “Support for the Reform of Mental Health Services in Moldova” in the period of 2014-2018. To carry out the local implementation of the project, a Project Implementation Unit has been set up in the Republic of Moldova, Private Institute „Trimbos Moldova”, hereinafter “Institution”.
The overall goal of the project is to support governmental actors and key stakeholders Moldova in initiating a nationwide mental health system reform that includes revision of the legal framework and financial mechanisms, development, implementation and evaluation of a model of community-based mental health services in four pilot districts, and advocate and raise awareness about the benefits of the reform for beneficiaries.
The project seeks to achieve the following outcomes: 1) People with mental health conditions in four districts have equitable access to functional and sustainable mental health services (primary care, community-based care, acute inpatient care services in regional hospitals); 2) Central and local authorities in relevant sectors, in close cooperation, promote integrated healthcare approach and implement the new model of care in communities, 3) Central and local authorities are supportive of community-based mental health services and create an enabling environment for people with mental health conditions and their care-givers to exercise their rights. Ultimately, the project strives to improve wellbeing of mental health service users through access to effective mental health services at the community level, closer to their homes.
The Communication and Anti-stigma Advisor is an employee of the Private Institute “Trimbos Moldova” based in Chisinau. The post is a full-time position. The post has a probationary period of three months.
The candidate will be supervised managerially by:
First level supervisor – Senior Advisor in the field of Community Mental Health Care
Second-level supervisor – Executive Director of the Institution.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Advisory function in Institution
– Advise the Institution on a strategic plan for raising awareness about mental health and the benefits of the reform in the country among target audiences.
– Provide input on the Project’s communication strategy and the action plan on reducing stigma and discrimination towards people with mental health conditions, and ensure smooth implementation of community strategy;
– Monitor and evaluate the progress of implementing the project’s communication strategy in partnership with project team, consisting of both international and local experts.
– Coordinate and facilitate communication for change activities with national and local authorities.
– Provide technical guidance to other colleagues and coordinate community mobilization activities.
– Address and promote attitudinal and value changes among target groups, leading to informed decision-making, modified behaviour, adoption of timely and appropriate practices at individual, family and community levels.
Print and e-communications
– Coordinate, draft and edit texts for the project information kit, article and news for newsletters and other publications.
– Design and development of informational materials for the Institution and for project beneficiaries (e.g. community mental health centers).
– Maintain and regularly update the project website and the social media dedicated pages and profiles.
– Coordinate production/ produce photographs for the project publications and website, and maintain a photo library.
Mass Media Representation and Dissemination
– Identify key media outlets, initiating, developing and nurturing strong relations with key media to provide appropriate information and increase their awareness with respect to the Institution activities.
– Establish and maintain relations with communication specialists of the project partners.
– Facilitate creation of a network of media representatives supportive to the project.
– Edit and draft content and media related materials, including media releases, for the project website and social media.
PR and liaison
– Initiate and facilitate the organization of public relations events, including press conferences, interviews, media events which are strategic to project progress ;
– Train Institution staff, partners and community members (in 4 pilot project districts) to develop their skills for communication on mental health issues with different target audiences;
– Participate in the project planning, monitoring and reporting activities;
– Ensuring smooth implementation of strategy activities while keeping in line with budget allocation;
– Respect the principle of impartiality and the ethical principles for communication, and not to damage the image of the Institution, and any partner of the project;
– Across all activities, ensure a human rights-based approach and gender equality approach.
– Perform other communication related tasks, as requested by the project manager.
– Deliver internal reports on media and other activities, including on media coverage for events.
– Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience.
– Previous experience working in a non-governmental organization or civils society organization will be considered an asset
– University degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or other relevant fields.
– Excellent writing skills in Romanian, Russian and English; ability to summarize complex information in an accurate and reader-friendly manner in a variety of formats, including for print and social media, press releases etc, and targeted at a range of audiences
– Ability to build rapport with a diverse set of key stakeholders and disseminate communication messages to stakeholders efficiently.
– Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including tact and diplomacy; and experience in dealing with media inquiries.
– Relevant technical skills and extensive work experience in designing and/or implementing behavioural change strategy, messages, tools and materials, plans including media plans.
– Basic knowledge of social media platforms and trends;
– Administrative and management competences
– Be able to operate under pressure and under tight deadlines.
– Team player
– Able to work independently and manage activities as well as collaborate well in a team setting
– Fluency in English, Romanian and Russian.
– Good computer literacy, including basic knowledge of graphic and web design skills.
– Willing and able to travel inside and outside the country when needed.
Interested candidates should submit their applications in English (Letter of intention, CV, relevant supporting documents) with the subject line “Communication advisor” not later than June 26th 2016 to the following e-mail address: email@example.com”>firstname.lastname@example.org